Some of the issues you might face as a non-UK domiciled tax resident either in the UK or overseas include complex tax filing in an unfamiliar jurisdiction, staying on top of rule changes and the structure of remittances.
Planning ahead for your financial needs while in the UK can make a significant difference to your UK funding needs. Early advice (ideally pre-arrival) is therefore very important.
If you are planning to remain in the UK for the long term, it is also important to plan ahead for the point at which you will become ‘deemed’ UK domiciled. In these circumstances, inheritance tax planning is especially relevant:
If you’re coming to the UK
- Pre-arrival planning: Advising on the tax-efficient organisation of your financial affairs to help you manage you and your family’s financial needs while living in the UK.
- Tax relief: Advising on the potential UK tax reliefs available if you’re coming to the UK to work for a temporary period and liaising with your employer to ensure that your employment qualifies for these reliefs, including checking your employment contract.
- Property: Advising on the implications, structuring and funding of UK property ownership.
- Inheritance tax: Advising on inheritance tax implications if you’ve been in the UK for several years or have settled in the UK permanently.
- Offshore assets: Advising on existing structures and planning for offshore assets.
- Remittances: Structuring of remittances to enable tax-efficient movement of capital to the UK.
If you’re leaving the UK
- Pre-departure planning: Advising on the tax-efficient organisation of your financial affairs to help you manage you and your family’s financial needs while living outside the UK.
- Compliance: Helping you get advice on the destination country’s tax legislation and advising on how this interacts with UK tax legislation and assisting with any ongoing UK tax reporting obligations should you leave the UK to work.
- Property: Advising on letting your UK property while you’re outside the UK, including the non-resident landlord scheme.